It's fun to get Valentine's Day goodies, but many of them can hurt your pet. Keep your furry friend safe on one of the most loving holidays of the year by avoiding these gifts!
Xylitol is sugar substitute often found in breath mints, sugar-free gum, candies and various baked goods. Why is it so bad for your pet? Well, it can cause a severe drop in blood sugar if even the teeniest amount is ingested, especially in dogs. Liver failure can also occur, so before you go in for a smooch, make sure the breath mint ends up in your mouth and not your dog's!
Trying to decide which fancy pair of undies to wear this Valentine's Day? Fine, but once you do make up your mind, put all of the unchosen pairs back into your drawer. As silly as it may seem, dogs love using them as chew toys. To avoid an expensive surgery for your pooch, keep the undergarments off the floor, bed, chair, etc. because once they get inside their belly, they're likely not coming out on their own.
Theobromine, an ingredient in chocolate, is toxic for cats and dogs. A large enough dose could even be fatal, so keep your box of heart-shaped chocolates to yourself! Because dark chocolate contains even more theobromine than milk chocolate, you'll want to keep the bitterly sweet stuff entirely out of reach.
Often causing kidney failure in dogs and cats, it's best to keep these away from your pet because it's hard to know which dogs and cats will be sensitive to raisins and which won't. That means hiding your V-Day chocolate-covered raisins too!
See also: 17 Animals Who Truly Know How To Pamper Themselves
Your pet may admire your new sparkly necklace more than you do yourself! If they happen to eat it, the best-case scenario would be that you're cleaning it after finding it in a litter box or out in the backyard. Worst case, it causes internal injuries in your pet's stomach and could even result in your pet needing surgery if the necklace gets tangled up in their intestines. Put the baubles out of reach!
Though a lily may only cause stomach issues in dogs, they are extremely toxic for cats. The petals, stems, pollen and even the water the plant sits in could cause acute kidney failure in a kitty if ingested. Also beware of pollen getting into the cat's fur, because even a small amount licked up can be poisonous. Basically, if you have a cat, tell your date NO LILIES.
It might be funny to picture your pet drunk, but cats and dogs are not built to imbibe like humans. Alcohol, especially in moderate amounts, can be very toxic to your furry friend, so it's best to keep your the booze and beer for your romantic dinner out of reach.
Whether covered in chocolate or not, these nuts can easily poison your dog if eaten. The nuts have been known to cause abdominal pain, stiffness of joins, tremors and vomiting in dogs. Though there haven't been any reports of macadamia nuts harming cats, it's probably best to play it safe and keep them out of their reach for, as well.
See also: 22 Happiest Animals EVER! We Dare You Not To Smile
While a few espresso beans might not poison your pet, a handful definitely will. Cats and dogs are much more sensitive to caffeine than we are, and if they eat too much, it could easily kill a smaller animal. The chocolate covering the bean would also add to the toxicity.
Gummy bears, jelly beans and candy hearts may all be delicious, but if your pet gets hold of them, get ready for tummy issues (Not awesome on Valentine's Day). We recommend eating the goodies all at once or locking them away in the cabinet (But eating them all at once sounds much sweeter, doesn't it?).
See also: 35 Baby Animals That Squeeze Massive Amounts Of Cute Into Tiny Bodies